April 24, 2012

Auntie MP's Asparagus & Garbanzos Over Rice






















My dear, spunky Aunt MP lives in Virginia. She and her husband, AC, lived close to my family during my middle school years and they've made little imprints on my heart. I love them in an adoring, soft way. My Aunt is the owner of Bookwrights Design & Publishing and she and I work together on projects here and there. It's so much fun to be her niece and her coworker.

Aside from being talented in so many ways (they once built their own home with their very own hands!, my uncle plays a meeeean piano, my Aunt is a gifted writer and artist) they are vegetarian and have oodles of tasty recipes to share.

This is one I cooked up last night and I thought I'd share it since asparagus is in season and ultra-tasty this time of year. It's a loosy-goosy recipe as far as portions go, but I've found you can just wing it and it turns out marvy every time.



Asparagus & Garbanzos Over Rice 
(Basmati is best! But brown rice is good too)

A bunch of asparagus spears, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 large carrots cut into small 1/4" pieces
A pat of butter
1 can of Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans 
Rice
1 tsp or so of Corn Starch
Soy sauce

Spices: salt & pepper, turmeric, hing powder (I don't own this so I never add, but I'm sure it's good)






















1. Melt butter in a frying pan or wok, add asparagus, carrots and spices and stir fry until crisp tender. 



















2. Meanwhile, cook your rice according to package directions























3. Add the can of beans, juice and all, to your stir fry and let simmer for several minutes






















4. Mix a small amount of corn starch with a tiny bit of water to make a thin paste and pour into your mixture. Stir and simmer allowing the sauce to thicken. Turn to low and simmer until you're ready to serve.




















5. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with a little soy sauce to taste.  YUMMY!

(This recipe served 4 good eaters but you could easily increase. It also saves nicely for a tasty lunch the next day.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Hearing from you makes my day!